Getting arrested and facing charges can be frightening and overwhelming. If you are unfamiliar with Florida laws and the criminal justice system, you may do or say something detrimental to your situation. As a result, you should seek the help of a Tampa Bay criminal defense attorney.
Having legal counsel can improve the chances of a successful outcome in criminal cases. As shown in a paper published by the Safety and Justice Program, defense counsel reduced murder conviction rates by 19%. If you are facing criminal charges, you should get legal representation as soon as possible.
Our Tampa Bay Criminal Defense Attorneys Protect Your Rights & Interests
Our criminal defense attorneys understand that a conviction can lead to long-lasting consequences that can affect different aspects of your life. Because of that, we strive to provide our clients with aggressive legal representation.
As a former prosecutor and public defender, the Tampa Bay criminal defense attorneys from Goldman Wetzel understand how the criminal justice system works. We are committed to finding the best legal path for your case and standing by your side throughout the entire process.
With over 40 years of combined experience, attorneys Summer Goldman and Maribeth Wetzel have successfully represented clients facing misdemeanor and felony charges in Bradenton, Clearwater, St. Petersburg, Tampa, and surrounding areas.
Contact us today for a free case evaluation if you have been arrested or are facing criminal charges in or near the Tampa Bay area.
Areas of Practice
In Florida, criminal offenses are classified depending on their severity. Misdemeanors are less severe offenses and are punishable by up to 1 year of incarceration and a maximum fine of $1,000.
On the other hand, felony offenses are more serious crimes punishable by more than one year in state prison. Whether you have been charged with a misdemeanor or a felony, you should enlist the help of a Tampa Bay criminal defense attorney.
Some examples of cases the defense lawyers from Goldman Wetzel handle include, but are not limited to:
- Child abuse
- Criminal mischief
- Domestic violence
- Drug crimes
- Fleeing and eluding
- Gun crimes
- Sex crimes
- Solicitation and prostitution
- Petit theft and grand theft
- Violation of restraining order
- Violation of probation
And if you have been charged with a crime that has not been listed and are looking for a criminal defense attorney near Tampa, we may be able to help. Call (888) 727-4652 to book a free consultation.
Crime Rate in Tampa Bay
According to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, in 2020, there were 508,490 arrests in Florida. 14.17% of those arrests occurred in the Tampa Bay area (Hillsborough, Pinellas, and Pasco counties). Violent crimes, such as assault, murder, and robbery, represented 26.5% of the arrests made in the Tampa Bay area.
What Does a Tampa Bay Criminal Defense Lawyer Do?
Having a criminal defense lawyer is not an admission of guilt. When seeking legal advice, you are exercising your rights while ensuring you have guidance through the criminal justice system. Below are some of the activities that a good criminal defense attorney does:
- Protect their clients: part of a criminal defense lawyer’s job is ensuring their clients rights are protected during the legal process. This starts by ensuring that their client’s rights and the process have been strictly respected.
- Evaluate the client’s case: a successful defense requires a lot of preparation and knowledge of the case. In other words, a good criminal attorney analyzes the facts and existing evidence to determine the best legal course of action.
- Finding the most suitable defense: a lawyer must determine the appropriate defense for their clients based on the information gathered. In some cases, that may mean negotiating with the prosecution or going to trial. However, when choosing the course of action, a good Tampa criminal attorney keeps their client’s best interests at the core of their defense strategy and at every turn throughout the case.
- Finding supportive evidence: criminal defense attorneys work diligently to build a strong defense and fight your charges. To do so, they must provide evidence that supports their client’s case. This may include preparing witnesses or hiring experts whose opinion may be valuable for the defense.
- Representing you in court: whether it is at a hearing or trial, defendants may need to attend court. If this is the case, our Tampa criminal attorneys will stand by your side throughout the process.
Facing Charges? Speak to a Tampa Bay Criminal Attorney
Crimes carry different imprisonment penalties depending on their severity. However, even a misdemeanor conviction may result in long-lasting consequences that can affect your life. A Tampa Bay criminal defense attorney may be able to minimize those consequences.
At Goldman Wetzel, we represent clients facing criminal charges in the Tampa Bay area. If you were charged with a crime and are looking for a criminal defense lawyer near Tampa, contact us to book a free consultation.