Being accused of a crime and placed under arrest is a frightening and frustrating ordeal, regardless of whether it is a misdemeanor or felony offense. It is important to keep your wits about you and take the right steps to avoid a conviction and excessive penalties. This begins with speaking to one of our Tampa criminal defense lawyers to discuss your legal options and to carefully consider how to move forward with your case.
A criminal mar on your record can damage your career, reputation, and relationship, not to mention impede your liberties and cost you thousands of dollars in fines. You owe it to yourself to secure the best defense team possible that will fight diligently on your behalf.
If you or a loved one has been arrested or is facing criminal charges in Tampa, enlist the help of our qualified defense lawyers at Goldman Wetzel. We take an efficient, focused, team-based approach to every case, pursuing the best possible outcome. The sooner we intervene, the better able we are to protect your rights and fight to have your charges dropped or reduced.
Call our office at 813-391-8051 to speak to our defense lawyers about your case today.
What practice areas does Goldman Wetzel cover?
If you are facing criminal charges of any kind in Tampa, Goldman Wetzel can help. Our trial attorneys know the ins and outs of all types of criminal cases, including state and federal cases, misdemeanors and felonies, juvenile cases, white collar and violent crimes, mental health court, and sealing/expunging records.
Some of our primary types of cases include:
- Sex crimes: Child pornography, indecent exposure, lewd and lascivious behavior, prostitution, sexual battery, and traveling to meet a minor
- Drug crimes: Possession, sale, trafficking, and manufacturing
- Domestic violence: Child abuse, stalking, restraining order violations
- DUI/BUI: For first-time and multi-offense defendants, with or without aggravating factors
- Violent crimes: Assault, battery, kidnapping, manslaughter, murder
- Theft: Burglary, robbery, shoplifting, identity theft, grand theft
- Fraud: Forgery, laundering, racketeering, tax evasion, credit card fraud, insurance fraud, immigration fraud, mortgage fraud, securities fraud
How can Goldman Wetzel help?
Attorneys Goldman and Wetzel, armed with extensive legal experience and no-nonsense determination, will work together to provide you with effective counsel and superior legal defense. At our firm, we do not judge or criticize. Rather, we focus our efforts on protecting your rights and finding a strategy that will bring about the best results for your case.
Step 1: Call Goldman Wetzel at 813-391-8051 and request a free consultation. We will answer any questions you may have, listen to your situation, tell you how we can help, explain our payment options, and direct you on the next steps.
Step 2: We walk you through the next steps in the criminal process and take over every aspect of your case. This might include talking with the prosecutor, examining evidence, attending hearings, filing motions, and crafting a promising defense strategy.
Step 3: Our firm will keep you in the loop about the status of your case and what to expect along the way, and take the necessary measures to minimize the impact of your charges.
I was arrested in Tampa. What happens now?
As soon as you are able, tell the officer you wish to speak to your attorney and call our office at 813-391-8051, and request legal representation. We will immediately jump into action and begin working on your case. Try to avoid saying too much to the authorities until you have consulted us. You do not want to risk harming your case.
You probably have lots of questions about what to expect after your arrest. When we meet with you, we will explain in greater detail how the process works. In general, most criminal cases in Tampa include the following:
- First appearance: You will appear before the judge. We may attend with you if your bond is high and you want to get it reduced or if you were denied bond, such as in domestic violence cases.
- Arraignment: At the next hearing, the arraignment, which may be several weeks from your first appearance, depending on the court’s docket, you enter your official plea of guilty or not guilty. Oftentimes, we can enter your plea without you present, but always check with us to see if you must appear in court. Before entering a plea, we will attempt to convince the state not to file charges or to file a lesser charge.
- Pretrial: There are various things we will do prior to trial, including talking with the state, filing paperwork, participating in discovery, and fortifying your defense. We may even be able to negotiate and settle the case before trial ever commences.
- Trial and sentencing: If your case has not been dismissed, diverted, or resolved prior to this point, we will make the necessary preparations to litigate your case in court. The case will conclude with an acquittal or sentencing.
What penalties might I face? Can I reduce them?
Florida and federal statutes dictate sentencing guidelines, assigning each offense with an appropriate range of punishments. The courts have some discretion in what your penalties are, too. The penalties you face depend on numerous factors, including the type and category of offense you are charged with and any past convictions on your record.
The best way to reduce your penalties is to avoid doing or saying anything that could get you into any more trouble, and to arm yourself with a qualified, determined legal defense team who will fight your case tooth-and-nail.
Will my case go to court?
We will attempt to get the state to drop your case or get approval for a diversion program before the state charges you. When that is not possible, we will begin preparing your case for court but continue our efforts in the interim to settle the case prior to trial.
If you have yet to speak to an attorney, contact us straightaway. Without legal representation, you will likely wind up in court without the information and counsel you need.
Arrested in Tampa? Call Goldman Wetzel for a defense lawyer.
If you were arrested or are facing criminal charges in Tampa, contact Goldman Wetzel to discuss your case. The initial consult is free of charge: 813-391-8051.
3030 N Rocky Point Dr
Tampa, FL 33607