Warrant Lawyers in St. Petersburg-Tampa

Many of our clients find out at a traffic stop that a warrant has been issued for their arrest. Other times, you may find out you have an outstanding warrant because a friend or your employer tells you the police were looking for you, or you come home to find a detective waiting for you.

The moment you become aware that you have an outstanding warrant, it’s highly advisable to contact a defense attorney. You’ll need to know what your rights are and how best to move forward with your situation. In St. Petersburg or Tampa, contact the defense team at Goldman Wetzel for a free consultation.

Common Types of Warrants

The State of Florida recognizes several types of warrants:
  • General arrest warrants issued by officers who believe there is probable cause;
  • Warrants for violation of probation;
  • Warrants for failure to appear in court (FTA warrants);
  • Warrants for failure to pay a fine; and
  • Warrants that were issued out-of-state.

Ways to Resolve a Warrant

Regardless of the type of warrant that’s been issued in your name, you’ll want to take a proactive approach to resolving the issue. Hiding or delaying it will only complicate matters.

For instance, in some cases, the warrant may be an error. The State of Florida has a large database system that all law enforcement officials can access. Warrants sometimes are issued wrongfully because of cross reference errors with names (both real names and aliases), dates of birth, residency info, etc. If this is the case, your attorney can gather evidence and present it to the courts.

With FTA cases, a warrant can sometimes be refuted because the alleged offender didn’t receive proper notice to appear. In these cases, your attorney may be able to file a “motion to withdraw” so that you can avoid being arrested.

If you have an outstanding warrant in Florida, call the law office of Goldman Wetzel today to review your case. We will examine the particulars of your case and advise the best way to resolve your warrant. Below are a few options, depending upon the circumstances:

  • As mentioned, file a motion to withdraw if the FTA was unintentional.
  • For FTA warrants, file a motion to surrender and appear in court with your attorney. The judge will hear your case and either withdraw the warrant or grant an ROR bond (release on your own recognizance). With ROR bonds, you can be released the same day without having to post bond.
  • Use the self-arrest program to bypass the normal booking process.
  • Turn yourself in and make your first appearance with one of our attorneys present.

Do you have an outstanding warrant? Goldman Wetzel can help.

Our firm understands the trepidation you feel when facing a warrant, and we understand the importance of your freedom, record and reputation. If you have a warrant out for your arrest, we can help in myriad ways.

  • Explain the facts – We can review your warrant and explain your options in a clear-cut manner. We’ll tell you whether or not a valid warrant exists, how much bond (if any) is attached to it and what type of action to take (e.g., file a motion or turn yourself in).
  • Invoke your rights – In pertinent cases, we can help you invoke your right to stay silent (Fifth Amendment) so that investigators can’t interrogate you.
  • Schedule hearings – We can help schedule (and attend) hearings, including a bond reduction hearing to petition the court to lower your bond.
  • Once the warrant is dealt with, we can serve as your defense attorney and fight the underlying charges.

Let us help you through your difficult time. Contact Goldman Wetzel today at 727-828-3900.